Thursday 27 October 2011

Delightful and Bright festival of Tihar!

This time of year is the Festival of Tihar. It's also called Deepawali or Dewali or Teuhaar by Indians. Mostly Hindus celebrate Tihar but in Nepal it's like a National Festival. I would prefer calling it 'Tihar' and one of the Nepal's biggest festival after Dashain.

What do we do?
You must have heard it already but still I like to share what I know of Tihar. Correct me if I do any mistakes.

Precisely speaking, I only know what my mother taught us about Tihar. Also what I heard throughout my life in Nepal about Tihar.

We (Nepali) celebrate it in 5 days. Each day has it's own speciality and each day is celebrated with significance.

Day 1
Crow is worshipped on day 1 as it is believed that once CROWS were human's messenger. They are free bird. This day crows are well fed and worshipped.

Day 2
This day is for dogs. Strange but true. Hinduism respects animals. It is believed that dogs are the protectors and securities of our home and they are very loyal. My mom also says dogs help us to cross a big river after we're dead (life after death thing). Dogs are fed and worshipped. Even the abondoned dogs of streets are treated well this day.

Day 3
2 things are carried out this day. In the morning 'Cow' is fed and worshipped. It is believed that cow is the mother and she provides us many things. My mom told me that the piece of thread that we put in our wrist on the day of 'Janai Purnima' is then taken out and tied on the tail of a cow. I remember I tied it on calf's tail. 
In the evening, Laxmi (Goddess of Wealth) pooja is carried out. Every house is bright with candles, lights and fireworks are also used. It is believed that Laxmi will enter that house which seems the brightest with lights. Bribing the Goddess hehe. I remember back home I loved it so much. A group of females go to houses, they sing, they dance and entertain. They're called 'Bhaileni' and they play 'Bhailo'. It's a nice custom as long as it's not abused. In return the homeowner gives them food, rice and money; the bhailo group then gives them blessings. I used to go to 'Bhaili' when I was small but later I stopped.  In London, Hindus here put fireworks all night.

Day 4
This day is for worshipping 'Bull'. Why? I don't know the exact reason but again my mom says bulls help us to plough the fields and make it possible to grow crops. Since Nepal is still an agricultural country bulls are still used to plough fields.
In the evening, group of males gather and do the same thing as females did a day earlier. They go to houses sing, dance and entertain and makes the environment fun. The group is called 'Deusi'. They also give blessings after they receive their award. My brother always used to end up at our home about 1 am with his band. And we had to listen to them in half asleep mood. We even had to make tea and give to them in the middle of the night ufff.

Day 5
Yay I love this day. Just Kidding. This day is called 'Bhai Tika'. The day is for brother- sister to show and express their love, respect and intimacy.  
It is believed that sisters put give things to protect their brothers. First they circle their brothers with oil and water, put 7 (red, green, blue, yellow, etc) colourful tika on forhead, put garland of  Makhmali flower (Globe Amaranth). Makhmali flower is also called Supari full or Ajambari full as it never really dies. The sisters then smash the Walnut pretending it is the Yumraaj's head. So, until the Makhmali flower (Ajambari) dries out and the colourful tika fades away, sisters protect brothers. (mind you 'Ajambari' means 'Never dying').

Sisters feed them well and brothers treat them well (referring to money or any gift in bhai tika hehe)! May Yamaraaj (the guy who takes away people to death)  won't succeed in taking away our brothers.

Hence the festival of Tihar finishes. I love each and everything connected to Tihar. 

Happy Tihar to all of you. I am very busy preparing for special day, the 5th Day when my brothers come to visit me. Hope you also have loads of fun.
Cheerio :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

आशा

Dear Readers, It has been really a long time since I wrote something on this blog but still thank you for staying. A lot of things happened ...