Tuesday 29 November 2011

One step ahead :Technology and Gadgets now

[Caution : too long to read and finish this post. Might get bored while reading this post halfway through.]

Tuesday evening at work I was thinking about social networking and how vast these sites have become now. We can hear about these networking sites all over nowadays. World is surely moving faster when it comes to computer and internet.

I remember when I was back home in Nepal, computers were owned by only minority of population and internet connection at home were rare. I studied from the binary code of computer and its history in school. I'm glad I took Computer Science as an optional subject in my school. Funny thing is; we had to take off our shoes to go to our computer class because it was carpet floor and the computers would get dirty if we take shoes in there. Haha it sounds funny now. The first I played in school computer was 'PC man' or something. We used to have young and handsome computer teachers : male hehe. We had to pay to the cyber cafe to use internet and I tell you honestly the connection speed was so so so so slow. But there was fun in going to cyber cafe with friends and use internet. Later on we bought desktop in my birthday. I even went to Aptech (Indian affiliated computer training centre), honestly saying it was just a time pass. I did get the certificate from there but it's only lying in my collection of certificates at the moment. I quite remember Apple computers were round and cute ones at that time. (thinkin of it makes me feel old :P).

Well, coming back to the topic now kids nowadays are so clever. Is it the advancement of technology or gadgets? I mean we hardly ever used mobile phones back home 10 years ago and now everybody has mobile. I bought my first mobile phone in London and it was a simple small phone Nokia with simple tarrif to pay. I have a very bad habit of losing phones and I lost many phones after that. Even in London internet in mobile phone was rarely used and expensive to afford. Then I happen to use Samsung, Siemens (SL55), Sony Ericsson (the phone with brilliant speaker to play music), etc. The only admirable phone I ever have is iphone. I had unlimited internet access and felt like world is in my hands. Technology has moved on to the level beyond imagination. I never ever thought in Nepal that I would be using a phone like this where I can play games, write blog, put videos and publish it straight to youtube ( youtube and facebook were not introduced 10 years ago), put thousands of photos in this small mobile, search anything and everything like a blink or eye. I was travelling in bus one day in Hamstead Heath (one of the posh area of London), I saw 2 children playing with their own iphones. A 1and half year old baby comes and asks me to unlock the phone so that she can go to youtube and play music. 3 years old boy plays spiderman like he's been playing that game since birth. Forget about iphone and computers, digital cameras are so brilliant. Back in those days we had to take photos and wait till we finish the roll and wait eagerly to get the photos from the lab. Thinking of it now, there was some fun in doing so as well. I miss those days. My brother's 4 year old daughter comes and grabs the camera as soon as we take a photo cause she wants to see how it came haha. Talking about games : oh my god its a world of Wii and PsP. My god I can't believe how far people have achieved. The first game I remember playing was Mario is little handheld game boy or similar ones. Brick game was my favourite. My sister loved racing bikes and shooting things but I used to have dizzy feeling if I played those games. My housemate recently bought Wii and it's so much fun playing it. I want to have a Wii where I can dance Zumba. And there are guitar heros and blah blah blah.

Kids nowadays have so many facilities in comparision to my childhood but I still feel I was happy enough at that time cause if there is no availability then there is no demand.

I always used to think I was one step ahead of my parents when it came to technology and gadgets but now I feel like the younger generation of my family would be even more familiar with technologies. If you ask a kid what do you want for your birthday the obvious answer would be either PsP or ipod or Nintendo Ds or even Wii.

 I try to update myself with the latest gadgets and technology but still sometimes I'm least bothered to do that ; simply because I get bored and tired of trying to learn new things to keep up with. I think we are becoming more and more dependent on technology. Suppose if I forget to put the alarm then most certainly I'll be late for my work, if I forget to put a reminder of birthdays I would most probably forget my best friend's birthday, if I forget to save my phone number then I will most definately never ever remember it. I envy this generation kids cause they can get these amazing gadgets which I dreamt of and never actually got it when I wanted it.

 At the moment I am more than happy with the gadgets I have. The more gadgets we have the more dependant we become in them. I used to remember 11 digits number of more than 11 friends now I hardly remember any. Why??? Because I have become too dependant on my phone's address book. I still keep wondering how the technology and advancement in gadgets would be when I become old. Probably something beyond my imagination. Prolly people could just say a word and then things get done by computers.

There's a funny short quote in twitter : 'When I was thirteen, Apple and Blackberry were only fruits!' So funny but so true.

Soon I will have to upgrade my gadget so that I can keep up with this fast changing world. Now I want iphone 5 and ipad 3 or may be SLR camera not introduced yet  hahhaha.

Thanks for reading. :) 

4 comments:

  1. Something that I wonder at times too. Just wonder what the next generation would be like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had to take my shoes off too - i mean before entering to "u know where!!!" i couldn't have agreed with u more. how i played mario and that brick game u mentioned...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Strophy, ya I know what you mean haha, we both went to same school but different era but still same rule haha, glad to see you're reading my blog. i love your comments.

    ReplyDelete

आशा

Dear Readers, It has been really a long time since I wrote something on this blog but still thank you for staying. A lot of things happened ...