Tuesday 21 August 2012

Nepali in 10th London Mela 2012







 I didn't had any plans to be in 10th London Mela at Gunnersbury Park. But somehow my fate was taking me there. I went there with a brother and my sister and a friend. Unknown to me was some real fun awaiting me. After a long wait for car park we entered London Mela around 2 or 2.30 pm in the afternoon. Sun was at its maximum. People were struggling to cope with it.

The first I went to look for was the stall that Lexlimbu mentioned to me earlier when I met him. I saw Nepali stall, one was Monty's food stall (They are quite famous) and the other was Nepali Embassy's stall. I straightaway met Lex and recognised few other people there.There was another food stall by Nepalese as well 'Gurkha Inn'.One by one I started meeting so many people known to me. I haven't been to Nepali local bhela (meeting) for long time I guess. We were a little bit late to see all the opening ceremony where the Ambassador of Nepal cut the ribbon and all. We also missed out the performance in main stage. But still I was glad that I didn't miss out the one I went to see. I have been practising dance with few ladies for another program, these are the same people who were performing there as well.

After waiting for more than an hour we get to see Nepali people performing. Miss Nepal UK 2010, Nabina Gurung was awesome while presenting Nepal. Her voice was strong and she did manage to attract people's attention who were already feeling drowsy because of heat.
 First there was Lakhey Dance, Nepali dance 'Dui chulthi batera', Kauda Dance by Magar Samaj, Nepali dance by young girls, a mix melody of Nepali movie songs, Maithili dance where 2 Radhas, Mishra sisters were trying to win over Lord Krishna, then again a Tamang Selo. All the performers were applauded with huge reaction from the spectators. I only have few photos and a brief video to prove what I had witnessed.
Nepal and Nepali were introduced to London public.

We were just roaming here and there after we finished watching the half an hour performance by Nepalese performers. I was enjoying Punjabi beats at main stage too. Lex was telling me that there is special event after that. He showed me an Elephant. At first I was surprised what was he and others telling me. Later I noticed that there is an Elephant and a bride on top of it. Basically I came to realise that it was a parade and Nepalese are trying to show how Nepalese wedding are carried out. It just felt like it was a real wedding and I was dancing and enjoying for somebody without any reason.

I could see, 'अनेकतामा एकता '  i.e. 'UNITY in DIVERSITY'. All casts and age group and different background people came for parade and we had so much fun screaming and shouting 'जसो  गर जे भन जतासुकै लैजाऊ मलाई , यो मन त मेरो नेपाली हो ' i.e. 'whatever you do or wherever you take me, my heart is only Nepali'. I could see very young kids enjoying and dancing in Naumati Baaja. Proud of them really. It is never enough to love your country and represent it. There are so many things I want to explain but I just couldn't squeeze all in here.

I have never experienced anything like that before and I'm really grateful to people who let join the parade. I kind of missed my Nepali dress. Next time if I go I would definitely wear something Nepali style.

Thanks to all the people who made my day so special. I will keep this day in my mind.








4 comments:

  1. i can't find the awesome button to check :)
    really loved going through ur blog sathi
    keep it up Cheer!!!
    Yo Maan ta mero Nepali ho.... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear friend, your comment itself is awesome here. Love ya. And ofcourse yo man ta mero Nepali ho.

      Delete
  2. You miss your culture when you are away from it. I don't see these kind of programs happening with this level of enthusiasm often in Nepal. Very Good Post :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Niraj. :) Hope peace prevails in Nepal.

      Delete

आशा

Dear Readers, It has been really a long time since I wrote something on this blog but still thank you for staying. A lot of things happened ...