Thursday 2 August 2012

Review of Opening Ceremony London2012

iphone image





google image
Hello all,

I've been lazy to blog recently. On Friday 27th July 2012 I watched Opening Ceremony of London 2012 Olympics, the most awaited event. Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle presented the Opening Ceremony of £27 million. I gathered up with friends and close people to watch the programme. Here is what I thought of the ceremony, lets just call it solely 'My Review'.

The first thing I liked was 'The Countdown' of 1 minutes which covered many things already. 10 Downing Street, No.9 bus which runs in Central London and many more. The start of the River Thames for me was awesome.


The 'Isles of Wonder', showed by Danny was so nice. I actually liked the theme of the ceremony. I think he tried to show typical English countryside. I was wondering about so many things and why it was there. I wondered where are the athletes of all over the world going to stand cause there was grass all over there. Why there is a little uphill there. and more questions followed later on. Even living 10 years in Britain I was still confused. Then slowly I got the hang of it. I somehow related to the things that Danny might want to show.
google image


The view of countryside, people farming, playing, singing happily was spectacular. Then followed the invasion of industrial revolution and the big chimneys and dark era. The class difference, the Suffragettes, the greenlands disappearing, labourers, world war, women working in the world war in different fields when all men went to war front, the people migrating from the Caribbean, Uganda and other countries, foundation of NHS (National Health Service) and Great Ormond Street Hospital. More followed as British singing legends and their songs, Film industry and current James Bond and ofcourse the Queen. I very much liked David Beckham's part. He looked cool. Harry Potter theme was shown. Everything that Britain is proud of was demonstrated in a very superb way. I loved luminous lights (Blue is my favourite colour), the effects and danced sequence.

I waited whole night just to see Nepalese participants and them calling out my country's name. Thank god atleast someone was there to represent my country. I was wondering when each country appeared and walked the march past. The volunteers were carrying something in their hand. Later on I realise the flag was suppose to go on the little hill there, the thing those volunteers were carrying was actually the head of the Olympics torch which they lighten in the end. It was like a flower and it all came together to form a flames of all participating countries. The Olympic flame was lighten by young generation. Closing up with Paul McCartney was epic act. Though his voice wasn't that great seeing him was enough for me.

Shreya Dhital :)

google image, Olympic flame



















The most of all. I loved the Fireworks in the end. It was marvellous.

Everything was very good. But I must say there few things that people criticised and yes I am also doing it. I am not saying bad things just some points which I felt like expressing here.

Trying show every special thing that Britain has and is proud of in such a good way was impressive but a lot of people around the world might have very few knowledge of what was going on. I read 'Life in UK' book few months ago so I was able to understand what was going on though I think I might have miss out on something as well. Not a lot of people knows what is NHS. People compared this opening ceremony with Beijing Olympics and said it was less interesting, but I do not agree with that fully. All those great music is not recognisable by everyone. For me being a Nepalese and if I was in Nepal, I wouldn't have known many things. Danny Boyle did try to make it interesting for all age group. He included children, youngsters, middle aged and all people. The whole point of this post is that I loved what he did and how he managed such a big event so beautifully but I guess most of the people around the world might have understand only half of what was going on.

I loved being here in the City hosting London 2012 Olympics. I never thought in my childhood that I will end up here in future. I was lucky enough to get tickets to Badminton and I thoroughly enjoyed watching World Champions of Badminton. I even went to see Olympic village but didn't had ticket to get in.

I look forward to see how the Closing Ceremony will be. Although I didn't get chance to volunteer I just hope they do well. Wishing them luck.


google image





crowd watching Badminton

Badminton


London







No comments:

Post a Comment

आशा

Dear Readers, It has been really a long time since I wrote something on this blog but still thank you for staying. A lot of things happened ...