Friday 6 May 2011

A practical joke

I don't mean to offend anybody here. It is purely what was the situation was like and just happen to be like that.
One day I was trying to call my home in Kathmandu, Nepal. We normally use international calling card of value £5. I tried couple of times and it still wasn't connecting. The money value in the card was deducted every time it goes to that weird voicemail and I hear that lady's voice. It normally happens at times. But that day I was desperate to speak with mom. I tried and tried and got frustrated for no connection. My friend was by my side. Out of nowhere I said to her,' I'm so fade up listening to this woman's voice everytime I call.' She says,'Tapaile samparka garnu bhayeko number byasta cha, kripaya punah prayash garnu hola'(The number you're trying is busy, please try again later.). Yeah something like this. What if this call centres could have been in Bhaktapur, how would they have recorded the voicemail. My friend started laughing cause she is also Newar.I said,'Tapaile samparka garera lyayeko number byasta bhyera lyayeko cha, kripaya punah prayash garera lyau'. We forgot all the frustration and started laughing. Then she said, you only make fun of my people; what if the call centre would have been in your region. She went on,'Oh sunana ho, Tapaile samparka gareko number chahi lastai jhur rahecha, som byasta cha bhancha, testaile ni hou punah prayash gara hai ta som'. Oh my god we laughed like crazy people. I even forgot that I was trying to speak to my mom. Then we went on, what if the call centre would have been in Madesh region. probably like, Nepali in Maithali accent,' Ta Tapaile samparka garnu bhayeko numberrr byasta bhaye haleko cha, ta kripaya punah prayash gari halnus ta'. Then we went on to Sherpa region. It might have been like,'Ahh Taile samparka gareko number chahi,,aachhyyyaa,, byasta chaaaaaaa, taile kripaya punah prayash garr hai'. Thing just went on and on. Now we were in international level. A black guy with heavy rap accent could have said,' Damn nigga, the numba ya tryin' ya, it ain't connecting. it kinda busy, ya betta try ya luck next time. Safe'. Anybody with Carribean accent, no offense but everytime they speak I feel like they're about to sing. It goes,'The nuumberrrr you are tryiiing to connect is busy, couuuld you pleeeease trrrry agaaiin laterrr'. Again we came back to Nepal. What if the call center would have been in typical village of Aryan people. Might have been like,'Tapaile samparka garya (speaking through nose) number byasta bha cha, kripaya bharey punah prayash gares'.
That's it, I can't write anymore to offend anybody. From that day onwards every time I hear that voice I remember that moment when I said those lines. Makes me laugh even now when I'm writing.
I still have to hear her voice in that recorded message, I wonder who she could be.


I don't like practical joke which affects people, but this was the one I couldn't stop thinking. :)

21 comments:

  1. sarai ramro lagyo


    regards,
    http://nirajsedhai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was really funny;) i liked the sherpa version better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its funny...now i'l also laugh everytime i here dat line hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Niraj thanks
    @Shailesh hehehehe :)
    @Anonymous u'll hear dat line very often so better be ready for it. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. arrggh!! 'connection error' msgs are really annoying. haha...gud idea to avoid frustrations wen we get those msgs. nice one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) :) i find my way out joking about things. Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey saku gud one...didn't know u r such a gud writer...keep it up..:))& i agree that this is the voice we hear frequently when we need a urgent call...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arey hey Kabu, wat a surprise. Thanks for the comment dear. Well I'm jus trying to write something u know. Remember those crazy kabita i used to recite in Poetry recitration competition in Saraswasti pooja. Tk cr anyways

    ReplyDelete
  9. made me smile while reading this. you really have a way with words....... i will probably be thinking the same thing when i call nepal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey thanks Rita. Appreciate ur comments! :) tk cr of ur health. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahahahaha! To ke Gaaarne... aaahile maanche le uthaudai naaa... Pheri gaaraa lo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great how your frustation lead to laughter. I can almost hear your conversation. Thoroughly enjoyed. :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pema, hahaha Toile padheko ma chai aahmm dherai dhanyabad cha hai,,, toile mind gaardainaas hola haii.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Mr TekAng urs leemboo there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha all of them made me laugh..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great way of expressing ur feelings....truly loved ur article esp. madhesi accent-'punah pryash gari halnus ta' haha lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hehe thanks to you as well for reading

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is realistic, the funniest and fatabulous..Nice piece of work :)

    ReplyDelete

आशा

Dear Readers, It has been really a long time since I wrote something on this blog but still thank you for staying. A lot of things happened ...